Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thing 19: Online Learning & DIY PD


Personal Learning Plan

I'd like to look more at webinars and edcamp to explore more technology topics.  We have been consistently using glogster, voicethread and animoto and it would be exciting to find new tools that teachers and students could use.  

I have had a twitter account for several years, but rarely use it.  I like the idea of keeping social media for work separate from social media for my personal life.  While reading one of the edutopia articles you posted which included tips on how to use twitter, I realized I should use it for my work life.  Even though I follow celebrities like Steve Martin, what if say, 90% of my twitter could be for my professional life?  I think this is a goal I will be working towards.

I looked at many of the website articles you posted for this topic.  Reading more about edcamp, and not being familiar with the concept, I decided to watch an edcamp video.  I went to the edcamp website and listened to part of a session on Google Hangout, which I have used before to chat with a family member.  It was interesting to see how it worked, and the group of people who set it up and make it happen, as well as how it is set up.  It seemed like it takes quite a bit of time to set one up, but I enjoyed the smackdown at the end, where moderators shared the tools they shared with the participants, (who we could not see).   It makes sense that someone came up with the idea of edcamp: it's free and all you need is a computer and a connection!  Real time conferences do limit us, due to cost, travel, the needs of our families and schedules.  I'm glad to live in a time where we have so many options.  What do you have to lose by participating in an online edcamp?  I love that as I fold laundry or eat lunch at home, I can also be learning something!  I even passed on Haiku Deck, a presentation tool a mod shared during the smackdown, to my principal, who had mentioned to me that he wanted to try out a new way to present.  

Through one of the links, I found an "in person" edcamp to attend.  It is on Saturday, October 25th in Queensbury, NY.  I would drive one hour to attend a special event like this.  I have never been to one before.  I also was glad to see it is on a Saturday.  There have been several conferences I couldn't attend this year because teachers were bringing their classes to me for specific instruction.  

Something not included in this idea to explore, but I have been thinking about accountability with online PD.  To make sure that educators have viewed said webinar, maybe they need to write a summary of the webinar, (at the least).  Perhaps they could also take a brief quiz to "prove" they were there?  I'm guessing this area is still under development where proving you've completed something is concerned, and there isn't a way to get a certificate.

We have an online system, (PDExpress), where you propose to receive PD credit for a conference, online course, etc.  I think if part of my learning plan were to attend conferences, my school would most likely give credit for that time spent.  Luckily, yes, I think my school does support and encourage the idea of personal learning plans. 

I also sent my principal the link to the edutopia video about 20%/Genius Hour.  It would be great if it was something we could incorporate in our school-or at least if a few teachers embraced this concept and gave kids this time.  He may have heard of the idea before, as he does keep up with current trends, but if he sent it out to the faculty, it may encourage others to try this concept.  

Thank you Polly for one of the best  and most useful "Things" yet!

1 comment:

  1. You bring up such an important point about accountability. It's something I've been thinking about too. Even in this online workshop, I see such varying levels of participation. Folks like you obviously put in a good amount of time engaging with the tools and resources, then writing insightful reflections. While some others aren't really doing what I would consider that minimum amount of work. Challenging to assess in an adult learning environment.

    ReplyDelete