Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Thing 17: Coding

Thing 17: Coding

I think the two videos you posted were great b/c they really put my mind at ease about coding.  It reassured me it would be fun and that I could do it.  I recall making a website from scratch in college and grad school, so I wasn't too intimidated.

Here is my first attempt at coding made with mozilla Thimble:




I also made a KEEP CALM poster, but I had a hard time being able to save it.

I went to CodeAcademy and did the 30 minute lesson to animate my name.  Here is the result:

http://www.codecademy.com/goals/animate-your-name?done#.UzoHJShRY20

It was an easy, fun beginner project and I could see middle school kids enjoying it.

I also completed One Hour of Code:



I think kids would love coding and the idea that they're creating something while learning, (and not even knowing it), is as good as it gets!  I wish I had more time with my 6th graders-we could do something with coding.  I will think about a way I can work that in.  I am thinking of sharing these sites with the Technology Teachers, esp. the one who does robotics and must teach coding.

No comments:

Post a Comment