Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thing 15: App-palooza!

I decided to compare the Goodreads app with the Goodreads full version for App-palooza.  I have a Galaxy smartphone, so I was easily able to download the app.  We don't yet have an i-Pad, and my I-pod doesn't connect to the internet, so I'm able to compare the phone app with the full computer version.

As you can imagine, the app is much more limited than the full site.  On the app you can log in, read other's reviews and see their ratings, rate your own books and mark them as read or currently reading, as well as see and send messages, explore your friend's profiles and reading lists and view notifications.
However, I like that with the app, you can scan a bar code, and of course, on the full version on my laptop, I cannot do this.

I am glad I explored the Goodreads app and think it will be very useful when I've just read a book and want to quickly rate and enter the book as "read" or to look up a book we might want to read next for the book club.

This is a somewhat timely post, as I am on the Technology Committee for installing/creating policies around wi-fi in our district as well as creating policies around BYOD, (bring your own device).  BYOD policies will enable us to use apps with kids and for them to be able to use their own devices in the classroom, hopefully beginning one year from now.

Put a Library in Your Pocket is a great idea to kick off encouraging kids to install apps that connect them to their libraries, (school as well as public), wherever they go.  

I installed the EasyBib app and decided to give that a try.  We have been having problems this week with the full version of EasyBib.  Our school even pays for each student to have a subscription.  It has been doing all sorts of odd, glitchy things, about 5 different errors, to be clear.  After I downloaded the app, I can really see the value the kids would find it in, and it might be a back door way around the errors and glitches.  I love how the app can scan the barcode of your source, and kids would love the convenience of that too!  I was able to them email myself the citation, which kids could then copy and paste into Word to print.  I think I will tell the teachers about this app and perhaps kids might want to try it at home, (until we are wireless).  

I also installed the UHLS Public Library app to make looking up books easier and quicker.  I know that it's a free app but I found it annoying that at almost every step, a login prompt pops up, but it isn't needed to simply search for a book on the catalog.  Also, I tried to click on "Go to Standard View", but I kept having issues with this.  I wasn't able to see the standard view and I had to keep pressing Cancel on the login prompt or the back arrow.  Frustrating, and I never even got to see that the standard view looks like.

I see now that it's especially important to road tests these apps before they are recommended to students who may find them a frustrating experience.  I think Put a Library in Your Pocket would be a great way to kick off Open House, as the article you posted suggests!  I will have to work on that this spring and summer!

1 comment:

  1. Great that you're testing apps that you'll actually be able to put to use with students. PRetty cool that EasyBib will scan barcodes and create a citation from that. Handy!

    ReplyDelete